I am a super light sleeper and need my calming tunes to fall asleep. This can be uncomfortable for us side-sleepers. I had some nice soft silicone ‘sleep headphones’ that work great until… they don’t. Which happens often. One earphone invariably shorts out.
I found these flat, paddle-like earphones recently on Amazon (affiliate link). They are meant to fit inside a headband. I wasn’t sure about wearing a headband while trying to sleep. Would that be awkward?
So I decided to knit a headband instead. That way, I could customize the fit and feel of it. And… if it didn’t work out, I would at least have a nice warm dog-walking-music-headband as a consolation prize.
I hate following patterns. I tend to knit (and make it up) as I go along. Here is my recipe for this project. Feel free to adapt as needed.
- I knitted a standard hat band — cast on 96 stitches with worsted weight yarn on #5 needles.
- I also included an elastic thread (gray bits visible in the photos) for a snug fit that won’t lose shape over time. I held it with the yarn and knit them together for the entire headband. Did not use the elastic thread for the headphone pockets.
- I knit a 2×2 ribbing for about an inch, then measured where my ears are and flattened out the ribbing (just did knit stitches) so the paddles would fit nicely.
- Knit for another 1+ inch, and then bound off the headband.
- I picked up 12 stitches at the headband edge at each ‘ear’ mark and knit a flap for the earphone pocket.
- Then I stitched that flap along the rib knit stitches.
Headband 2.25″ tall
Earphones are 1.75″ diameter – about the size of a half dollar coin
This project took about 2 hours. I am guessing because I didn’t pay close attention to time and had interruptions, but it was a quick knit. I tried this flat headphone/headband set up last night and it fit comfortably and didn’t move around or fall off. Success!
Of course I had help
Quincy always has to be in the know whenever anything ‘new’ is happening. Or anything going on with water. He loves playing in the water. Today, he was drawn to the sound of bubbles as my knit headband soaked in a wash bowl.
*Amazon link for headphones is an affiliate link